Asian American Pacific Islander Alumni Chapter
Dear University of Nevada Reno Alum,
As we begin the New Year we would like to invite you to join the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Alumni Chapter!
Over the past 100 years, thousands of Asian American and Pacific Islander students have studied in University of Nevada classrooms, cheered for the Wolf Pack at Mackay Stadium, and celebrated upon graduating from the University of Nevada, Reno.
In May 2008, the idea to start an alumni chapter for Asian American and Pacific Islanders was proposed to a small group of graduates and soon-to-be graduates. With the desire to maintain relationships and continue networking with Asian American and Pacific Islander graduates, the idea received resounding support. Shortly after, the AAPI Alumni Chapter was born.
The AAPI Alumni Chapter of the University of Nevada, Reno is an Alumni Chapter dedicated to the understanding of Asian American and Pacific Islander awareness in our community. We are dedicated to building lasting relationships through shared experiences while furthering Asian American and Pacific Islander culture. We strive to dispel negative Asian American and Pacific Islander stereotypes through education and outreach within the community.
Our goal is to provide support in all areas of cultural awareness involving the University of Nevada, Reno and its constituents. The AAPI Alumni Chapter incorporates the values of the University of Nevada, Reno while promoting well-being, advocacy, opportunities and growth through volunteering, communication and outreach in the Asian American and Pacific Islander Community.
The AAPI Alumni Chapter has developed the following goals to achieve our purpose and mission in serving and supporting the University of Nevada's AAPI Alumni community.
• Promote Asian American and Pacific Islander awareness by celebrating the achievements and success of alumni members
• Develop career resources for new, mid-level and senior members
• Create a mentoring program for new members and other special groups
• Generate scholarships for high school and college students (undergraduate and graduate)
• Provide opportunities to network and build professional/personal relationships through social events and activities
• Support Asian American and Pacific Islander student organizations on campus
• Create local community service and outreach opportunities
• Develop Fundraising to financially support the AAPI alumni organization and contribute to the efforts of the University of Nevada, Reno Alumni Office
• Recruit Asian and Pacific Islander students to attend the University of Nevada, Reno
• Support the mission and goals of University of Nevada, Reno and the University of Nevada, Reno Alumni Office
Statement of non-discrimination: The University of Nevada, Reno Asian American Pacific Islander Alumni Chapter does not discriminate in practice or intent on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation.
Official Eligibility: Any individual who is a graduate of the University of Nevada, Reno shall be eligible for membership. The duration of membership shall be for at least one year.
Rights of Membership: All members will have a duty to promote the growth and welfare of the chapter. It is the right of all members to vote.
Donations: Donations will be accepted in lieu of membership dues.
This alumni chapter is for you and about you! We look forward to hearing from you!
Jen Lau, MSW
Access, Outreach, and Recruitment/Success First
Student Success Specialist
Truckee Meadows Community College
Nicole Shimabuku, MA, NCC
Student Activities and Leadership
Truckee Meadows Community College
To learn more about this brand new chapter, check us out on Facebook or click on the link below to join. Membership is free!
Help the AAPI Chapter get started by making a donation. Your assistance is appreciated!!!
Click here to join online today!
Name: Nicole Shimabuku
Name: Jennifer Lau